Does it get any better? A fruit based, simple easy, and super satisfying grain free, refined sugar free, apple turnover “hand pie”. Get ready to be rocked by this recipe that will be ready in less then 15 minutes!!
I have been working really hard on trying to perfect my vegan grain free apple pie recipe, but I’ve gotta say, these almost “instant” paleo apple turnovers with vegan caramel sauce are even better than the pies I have been making. These turnovers take about 15 minutes to make from start to finish. A perfect all natural, gluten free, dairy free, nut free, fruit based dessert! And they are awesome whether or not you make my 2 minute caramel sauce to drizzle over them!
Free free to enjoy these 100% fully raw, or lightly sauteed. Either way, they are such a wonderful treat. True comfort food right here folks.
Caramel Apple Turnovers
Apple Pie Filling
- 2 to 3 granny smith apples
- 2 Tablespoons coconut sugar crystals (or use maple syrup)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg*
- pinch of cardamom*
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
*omit seed based spices for AIP
- 2 coconut wrappers (I use Julian brand, see here) (OR Make your own wraps DIY recipe HERE)
- pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 Batch of my Caramel Sauce Recipe – see recipe here
- optional: 1 teaspoon crushed mulberries for garnish (or a few crushed walnuts)
NOTE: If you don’t have access to the coconut wraps, you can still enjoy this recipe without them! See the picture below for a mini hand-pie I made with just the apple slices. It was still really delicious!!
NOTE: You an also enjoy this recipe fully raw! Just slice apples, toss in spices, and then put into the folded coconut wraps, which are a fully raw product also!
- Thinly slice apples. I like to slice them in full circles, see the apple slice down at the bottom of this post for an example, if you cut them this way, the seeds will actually fall out loosely on their own, and you can use the whole entire apple! But you can slice the apples anyway you want.
- Melt coconut oil over medium heat in a saute pan.
- Add in apples, coconut sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and saute for a few minutes until apple slices get soft, then remove them from pan.
- Add in a little more coconut oil, and a coconut wrapper, and a tiny pinch of salt.
- Gently heat each side of the coconut wrapper for about 20 seconds a side, or until it turns a light golden color, and remove from heat. Turn off heat.
- Fold the coconut papers into a triangle with 2 pouches, following the photo directions above!
- Fill each of the 2 pouches per wrap with apple slices then Serve & Enjoy!
- Click here to see my original recipe for a simple 2 minute vegan caramel sauce for drizzling.
- Garnish with crushed dried mulberries.
*I love these coconut wraps so much, as they make awesome raw vegan salad rolls too, I often order them from amazon for around $8 per pack of 7, and I have also found them on sale at Whole Foods for $7.99 per package of 7. And for me here in rural Oregon it is cheaper for me to buy the wraps already made, then to buy fresh coconut and make them myself.
Recipe also featured on: Gluten Free Wednesdays – Paleo AIP Recipe Roundtable – Paleo Living Magazine – Naturally Sweet Recipe Roundup – Allergy Free Wednesday – The Alder Collective – Healthy Happy Green and Natural Blog Party + Savoring Saturdays