If you like my Flax Jacks Pancakes Recipe (post here), then I think you are going to love these Flax Waffles! They are light and have almost a buttery taste and texture to them. I just took my pancake recipe and added in some organic expeller pressed coconut oil (expeller pressed coconut oil has no coconut taste). I also made a successful batch of waffles without the added fat, but really like the texture best with it. I personally like the taste and color of golden flax seeds best, but feel free to use dark brown flax seed meal in this recipe if you please.
- 1/2 cup ground golden flax seed meal
- 2 large pastured eggs
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil, (or other fat/oil like MCT oil, or organic palm shortening)
- 2 Tablespoons dairy free “milk” (or use water)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (or 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- tiny pinch sea salt
- optional: a little sweetener of your choice (I don’t use any)
- spray waffle maker with olive oil using this mister
- Plug in your Waffle Maker to heat it up.
- Mix ingredients together in a bowl until you have a smooth batter. If you need to add in a little extra nut milk/water to get it smooth, you can do that too.
- When the waffle maker gives you the green light, spray it with the olive oil using a mister.
- Add batter, and follow waffle maker directions.
- This batter gave me enough to make 5 Belgian style waffles.
- I topped these waffles with fresh blueberries and a dollop of coconut whip (recipe here) and it was super delicious. You can also top them with maple syrup, berry jam, or turn them into a savory breakfast sandwich.
Makes 2 Servings. Estimated Nutritional information based on eating 2 waffles = Calories per serving: 244, Total Fat: 18 grams, Total Carbs: 11 grams, Fiber: 8 grams (Net Carbs: 3 gram), Protein: 12 grams.
Shared at Fat Tuesday + Buns in My Oven + Weekend Recipe Link Up Party + The Weekend Retreat + Weekend Potluck + Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday + Real Food Recipe Roundup + Sweet and Savoury Sundays + Gluten Free Wednesday + Gluten Free Friday + Savoring Saturdays + Allergy Free Wednesday