Have you Milked a Walnut Today?
Walnut Milk is quickly becoming one of my favorite raw vegan milks! It is so smooth and provides such a great buttery base for other smoothies, like the raw chocolate milkshake and holiday smoothie I have posted below. With almond flour and almond butter in so many recipes these days, I am really enjoying a break from almond milk, and instead drinking this simply satisfying walnut milk. And cheers to Walnuts being in season right now! At our local farms here in NW Oregon, you can get walnuts in the shell for $2.20 per pound, and then once cracked, you average around $4 per pound, which works out to about $1.25 per quart of this fabulous milk, or 25 cents a glass! So worth it!
Raw Vegan Walnut Milk Recipe:
- 1 cup raw walnuts (soaked 2 to 8 hours)
- 4 cups pure water
- Strain through a nut milk bag.
- Enjoy & store in a glass jar in the fridge. This walnut milk makes an excellent base for smooth & buttery raw chocolate milk shakes!! Be sure to save the leftover walnut pulp to make this rich and heavenly raw fudge recipe here!
Raw Walnut Chocolate Milkshake:
- 1 cup fresh walnut milk
- 1 Tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup ice
- Blend all ingredients together (except ice).
- Add in ice, blend.
- ENJOY! It is so good!!
Raw Blissful Holiday Smoothie:
- 1 large ripe pear
- 1/2 cup fresh walnut milk
- 2 fresh or dried figs
- 1/2 Tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 Tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup ice
1. Blend all ingredients (except ice) together until creamy. 2. Add in ice, blend. 3. This smoothie takes all the flavors of the holidays and whips them up into one sweet and savory smoothie! LOVE this treat!!