Gingerbread Waffles (or Pancakes)
- 6 Tablespoons of creamy almond butter*
- 2 large pasture raised eggs
- 1 ½ Tablespoons blackstrap molasses**(can be omitted)
- 1 ½ Tablespoons raw honey (maple syrup or stevia)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice**
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of sea salt
- optional: 1 teaspoon lemon juice (or cream of tartar)
- a little cooking oil
- Serve with ginger bread icing (recipe below) dried cherries and cranberries and chopped nuts.
Turn on waffle maker or heat a skillet up to medium low heat for pancakes.
Mix ingredients together in a bowl until you have a nice consistent batter. If needed you can add a splash of coconut milk to thin out the batter if your almond butter was on the thicker side.
If you have lemon juice or cream of tartar add it as it will react with the baking soda and help the waffles or pancakes to rise, but it is okay to omit if needed.
Grease waffle maker or skillet.
Spoon batter into waffle maker, makes approx 8 Belgian waffles. Or spoon batter into a skillet to make pancakes. Keep pancakes on the smaller side to they are easier to flip. Cook pancakes at a medium low temp and watch closely to avoid burning them.
Top with maple syrup or decorate with my icing recipe from below and chopped nuts and dried fruits.
Gingerbread Icing Recipe
- 4 Tablespoons soft goat cheese
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons raw honey (or maple syrup)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- tiny pinch of sea salt
- optional: little splash of coconut milk, if needed to thin
- optional: 1 teaspoon ginger juice (or a few drops of food grade ginger extract)
- Mix ingredients together in a small bowl with a spoon until smooth. Add a splash of coconut milk if needed to thin the icing.
- Spoon ingredients into a piping bag or a small sandwich baggie, and then cut off a tiny corner. You can now drizzle the icing over the waffles.
- It’s fun to let everyone decorate their own waffles. You can drizzle a little goat cheese icing over the waffles, or simply use maple syrup (or even use a little of both if you want!) You can also sprinkle on chopped nuts like walnuts or use pumpkin seeds, chopped dried figs or raisins, and freeze dried fruits like raspberries or strawberries.