These simple paleo battered mushrooms where one of my go-to snacks when I was craving “happy hour” type foods while on a low starch diet. Super low in carbs, and easy to prepare. This a great “keto” recipe, especially for those who don’t tolerate dairy. For those who aren’t into mushrooms, check out my low carb battered onion ring recipe!
This recipe uses a few tablespoons of tahini and an egg to make a nice puffy batter. They bake up in around 20 minutes in the oven, and go well with your favorite dipping sauce. I have included 2 dipping sauce recipes I love in the notes, a simple dairy-free herb & yogurt dip, and a naturally sweetened low sugar sweet & sour sauce.
Paleo Battered Mushrooms - Low Carb
I created these grain-free battered mushrooms to satisfy that craving for happy hour bar food, without the starches & carbs. This batter creates a nice pillow around these savory mushrooms, great with your favorite dipping sauce. If you like mushrooms, these won’t disappoint.
- 8 oz button mushrooms one package, approx 12 shrooms
- 3 Tablespoons tahini *see notes for tahini
- 1 egg pasture raised
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar OR coconut aminos, OR dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400*F.
Mix batter ingredients together well, in a small mixing bowl.
Gently rinse off mushrooms, and pat dry with a paper towel.
Dip mushrooms in batter, rolling around for an even coat.
Bake batter covered mushrooms for 18 to 22 minutes, (recommend lining baking sheet with parchment paper) until mushrooms turn a light golden brown, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Let cool a few minutes before biting in, as they will be hot!
Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, like homemade ranch, apricot sweet & sour sauce (shown in the notes), or a yogurt dip packed full of fresh minced herbs (show in notes).
You can buy tahini at most grocery stores, including Whole Foods and for $3.50 for a jar at Trader Joes, or buy it on Amazon via this link: http://amzn.to/2g1b81y
- Yogurt Herb Dressing
- 1/4 cup cashew yogurt (made by Forager, use any yougurt)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar
- minced herbs: your choice of basil, mint, parsley, chives, minced dried onion.
- sea salt & black pepper
- optional: crushed garlic clove
- Simple Sweet & Sour Dipping Sauce:
- 2 Tablespoons - apricot jam (I use "fruit sweetened", but you can use your favorite low sugar jam)
- 1 Tablespoon - coconut aminos
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar or red wine vinegar
Estimated Nutrition Info using MyFitness Pal to calculate
- Servings: 2 (6 battered mushrooms each)
- Calories: 206
- Total Fat: 15 grams
- Total Carbs: 8 grams
- Dietary Fiber: 2 grams
- Sugars: 0 grams
- Protein: 11 grams
- Note: Mushrooms and tahini both include insoluble fiber, assuming that is what is contributing to total carb count. This page shows how much soluable and insoluble fiber are in each ingredient: https://www.prebiotin.com/prebiotin-academy/fiber-content-of-foods/