You guys this low carb pizza crust has revolutionized my grain-free, low starch diet. It’s GOOD. Damn Good. Especially with melty gooey water buffalo mozzarella cheese on top.
This past week I got my first introduction to Water Buffalo Mozzarella. And that stuff is GOOD too! I was surprised to read that traditionally all mozzarella cheese made in Italy is made from water buffalo milk, it’s only in the US that mozzarella comes from cow’s milk. Now I have a an allergy to cow based dairy, but I am sooo happy as I have had zero issues with Water Buffalo Mozzarella! I also have zero issues with goat’s milk mozzarella. There is still life and damn good pizza after a cow-dairy allergy! I was gifted the Water Buffalo Mozzarella by the cheese monger at Whole Foods, as I was asking him all sorts of questions about different goat and sheep cheeses, and I was a bit hesitant on trying the water buffalo cheese, so to he let me try it for free! I love when they do that at Whole Foods! It pays to ask lots of questions sometimes.
I was beyond pleasantly surprised with how melty, stretchy, lightly salty, yummy the melted water buffalo mozzarella became when I used it as a cheese topping on this pizza. Flipping amazing! And water buffalo cheese is currently at the top of my shopping list for my next trip to town.
The brand of water buffalo cheese I used is made by Buf Creamery, it comes from grass-fed water buffalo, and I found this statement from their FAQ page quite interesting:
“Water Buffalo? There are an estimated 172 million domestic water buffalo worldwide, and more human beings depend on them than any other domestic animal. Water buffalo originated in India and China and first found their way to Italy around 600 AD.” Source Buf Creamery FAQ
Photo of water buffalo above from Buf Creamy.
This pizza crust recipe was adapted from the Holy Grail Pizza.
- Pizza Crust
- 1½ cups grated goat cheddar cheese (I use this brand)
- ¾ cup almond flour (or ground sunflower seeds)
- 1 pastured egg
- 2 Tablespoons soft goat cheese
- Pizza Toppings
- ½ batch of my Kale Pesto (or your fave pizza sauce)
- 7 oz water buffalo mozzarella
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- optional: a little goat milk mozzarella cheese for sprinkling
- optional: sliced tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, artichoke hearts
- Preheat oven to 425*F.
- Grate goat cheese using a medium fine grater. I use 4 oz of this goat mild cheddar to get approximately 1 and ½ cups.
- Mix all pizza crust ingredients together in a bowl to form a dough. I work the dough with my hands for a few minutes until the cheese has been fully incorporated.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set down dough. Layer a piece of saran warp over the dough and use your hands to roll out / spread out / manipulate, the dough into a thin crust pizza 12 to 13 inches in diameter. The crust works well when it's nice and thin.
- Remove top layer of saran wrap and bake pizza at 425*F for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove pizza crust from oven, top with your favorite toppings. I like to use my kale pesto and more cheese! I feel in love with the water buffalo mozzarella on this pizza. I sliced it into thin rounds spread them out evenly around the pizza and they spread into gooey stretchy uber yummy mozzarella cheese after baking.
- Bake pizza with toppings at 425*F for 8 to 10 minutes, until well cooked. You can broil it a couple extra minutes if needed to brown the cheese a little.
- Slice with a pizza cutter, and enjoy!
- This pie makes EXCELLENT leftover pizza too! The kind you can eat cold for breakfast.
Estimated nutrition info for pizza crust only, based on 4 servings.