This Loaded Cream of Celery Soup is my favorite soup to use up all those yummy leftovers from Christmas Dinner! I love how simple it is to prep the components of this soup into a warm winter comfort food dish, especially lovely on a lazy Sunday after a big holiday weekend that you already cooked your arse off getting ready for. I use my dairy-free paleo cream of celery soup for the base, but you can use any creamy soup you’d like too. Then I quickly sauteed up a little leftover ham from our Christmas Dinner. This ham is extra special as it was given to me by a dear friend who pasture raised it on her ranch in Eastern Oregon. And let me tell you those pigs eat well at her house, so this ham really tasted amazing. She has quite the veggie garden on her working grass-fed cattle ranch, along with a healthy flock of truly free range chickens, and biscuit her milk cow who supplies her little raw dairy operation. I love sneaking off for the weekend to visit her on her ranch, where both I and all of her animals get plenty of sunshine and homegrown foods.
So anyhow, back to this recipe, it only takes a few minutes to heat up the chunks of ham on the stove top while you quickly toast up some homemade grain-free croutons in the oven. I used the popular baugette bread recipe from my cookbook, “Pure and Simple Paleo” to make the croutons. If you tolerate goat milk, then shred up a little goat milk cheddar as it goes great with this soup too. Below are some photos from my last visit to see my friend at the Triple C Ranch, where our Christmas ham came from too!
Biscuit the Milk Cow
Me feeding the Goats!
The Triple C Ranch
I love staying at Alicia’s ranch! You wake up and have scrambled eggs gathered that morning, bacon that was raised with love and care, a huge mug of hot tea, and I bring the grain-free toast. Dinner is often home raised ham steaks with home canned sauteed sauerkraut and homemade apple sauce. And of course the cabbage for the kraut and apples for the sauce where grown on her farm too! Food home grown and raised the way it should be is such a nourishing treasure.
- 4 cups cream of celery soup (see this recipe)
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1/2 cup shredded goat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup croutons (grain-free)
- sea salt & black pepper
- a little coconut oil or goat milk butter
- a little olive oil
- Make a batch of my cream of celery soup from this recipe post. Or heat up a leftover batch on medium heat, as this celery soup reheats really nicely.
- Saute ham in a small skillet for a few minutes in coconut oil or goat milk butter, until well cooked. I like to add a tiny bit of maple syrup to lightly “candy” the ham.
- Make the croutons by cutting up one of the grain-free breads from my cookbook. I used a few slices of the super seed baguette recipe in my book, chopped into smaller pieces, tossed in a little olive oil and lightly broiled in the oven for a few minutes, flipping 1/2 way through, watch closely to avoid burning.
- Pour soup into two bowls. Garnish with shredded cheese, ham, croutons, sea salt & pepper.