I have always been a huge fan of Thai Food. I practically lived on veggie Thai Food in my 20’s. I had a handful of places in Portland I would order it to go from, but I also made it at home a lot, like a lot, a lot. My favorite Thai dishes are the Coconut Milk Curries, like Yellow, Green, and one place did a phenomenal Red Pumpkin Curry. I am still working on my own starch free/night shade free curries, sounds exciting right? I also loved the fresh salad rolls, sticky rice with mango, curry noodle soups, Tom Kha (recipe for that coming soon too!) and of course Pad Thai. Here is a super low starch, paleo Pad Thai recipe that I am truly happy with! I honestly don’t miss the old version now that I have this one, and this one is so simple, it’s ready in less time then it would take to phone in an order to-go and pick it up. I hope you enjoy this dish too!
Paleo Pad Thai (low carb, vegan)
Noodle & Veggie Base
- 1 packet of Miracle Noodles or use spiralized zucchini noodles or thinly sliced green cabbage
- splash of vinegar your choice
- 1 cup broccoli fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup red cabbage sliced thin
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots cut on a veggie peeler like this one
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs (mixture of Thai basil cilantro, mint)
- 1 radish sliced thin
- teaspoon garish: 1 sesame seeds black & white
- optional: one farm egg
- optional: protein of your choice (wild shrimp pastured chicken, or veggie protein)
- 3 Tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice or rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon sweetener of your choice (honey alternative sugar, etc)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Tablespoon optional: 1 tamarind paste
- Tablespoons optional: 2 of almond butter or tahini
Rinse Miracle Noodles. Heat a small pot of water, add a splash of vinegar, and quickly boil Miracle noodles for a few minutes to remove the funny taste when they first come out of the package, strain and rinse, and then they are ready to use.
If adding a protein cook it first in a little oil, then set aside.
In a large saute pan heat the broccoli, mushrooms, simple sauce, and toss in drained and pre-boiled noodles.
Saute over medium high heat for about 10 minutes until broccoli and mushrooms are well cooked, and noodles are hot and well coated in sauce. Add protein back in after veggies are well cooked. (You can also scramble in one farm egg at this time, just clear a space on the side of the pan, scramble egg, then mix into noodles and veggies.)
Taste test to make sure you have enough sauce coverage, add more of the simple sauce ingredients if needed!
Remove from heat. Toss in shredded carrot, cabbage, radish, and herbs. Serve and garnish with sesame seeds.
Estimated Nutritional Information with no sweetener or optional ingredients added. Recipe using Miracle Noodles makes 2 servings, with 104 calories per serving. 4 grams of fat. 16 total carbohydrates (13 net carbs). 3 grams of protein.
Recipe featured on Gluten Free Wednesdays + Real Food Recipe Roundup + Allergy Free Wednesday + Savoring Saturdays