This Paleo Waldorf Chicken Salad is the prefect flavor packed lunch to help fuel you through the day!
I had given up on any bottled salad dressings years ago. Developing a severe allergy to all soy products including soy bean oil has made me fearful of salad dressing in the bottle. Plus lets face it, most supermarket salad dressings taste like crap. But the opposite could not be more true when it comes to Steve’s Paleo Goods – Paleo Chef Salad Dressings. OMG. Steve’s salad dressings have earned a permanent spot in my cooler anytime we leave the house for a few days to a few weeks. Made with all real high quality ingredients, and thankfully soy-free!
I started out with developing an addiction to Steve’s Maple Mustard Dressing, let’s call it the “gateway dressing” as this stuff seriously goes good on ANYTHING (chicken, fish, salad). It is seriously the best honey mustard dressing ever! When I travel on the road I often rely on salads from the salad bars at health food stores and places like Whole Foods along with entree salads from restaurants to help get me through the day (with slices of my fave grain free breads that I bake for the trip too of course!) And when I go out to eat at a restaurant I’ve never been to before? I literally bring in my bottle of Steve’s dressing and set it on the table, like business as usual, and simply ask the waiter for a big ol’ salad without any dressing.
Last night I picked up a bottle of Steve’s Cilantro Ginger Dressing at Whole Food’s and found it to also be crazy good. And feeling especially lazy today I decided to throw together this Waldorf Chicken salad using leftover chicken from a roasted pasture raised bird we had last night paired with the most flavorful end of summer concord grapes, chunks of crisp apple, and buttery mache greens, and simply toss it together with this salad dressing, rather then whip up a paleo mayo as I often do. It came together beautifully. I will certainly be adding this dish to our regular rotation. If you don’t have Steve’s dressing on hand feel free to use mayo or even some mashed avocado and sea salt as a dressing. You can now find Steve’s Paleo Chef dressing in Whole Foods, health food stores, and direct from them online.
Paleo Cilantro Ginger Waldorf Chicken Salad
- 2 cups cooked pastured raised chicken, rough chopped
- 1/2 an apple
- 1/2 cup grapes
- 1/2 cup celery
- 1/3 cup walnut pieces
- 3 to 4 Tablespoons Steve’s Cilantro Ginger Salad Dressing (or whip up some paleo mayo or use mashed avocado and sea salt)
- 6 cups of salad greens (I love using mache lettuce rosettes)
- 2 slices grain-free bread, I use my paleo “wonder bread” (recipe in my cookbook)
- I often make this on the weekends using leftover roasted chicken meat from a whole roasted chicken we had the night before, or you can simply cook a chicken breast and chop it after cooking.
- Dice apple. Chop celery.
- If using larger grapes slice them in half. I use smaller flavorful grapes, which I leave whole.
- Mix together cooked chicken, apple, grapes, celery, walnuts and salad dressing (or mayo or mashed avocado & sea salt).
- Arrange salad greens on two plates, spoon Waldorf Salad over top, and serve with an optional toasted slice of grain free bread. Makes 2 servings.